Thursday, June 01, 2006

Regrets. . . I've had a few.


One of the longest-running regrets is that I never continued the ham radio training I received in the Boy Scouts. It has pretty much so haunted me most of my adult life. Reminder pop up frequently - From finding a functioning 1950's Hallicrafters receiver at a garage sale that I used while living in Olympia to study Mandarin Chinese from Radio Taipei to picking up a pack of a OM's QSL Cards at Aladdin's Lamp Antiques in Bellingham, WA.

So I was on a book hunt and came across this amazing book that gives the reader a look into the entire lifetime of a ham radio operator. History, social networking, and wonderfully amateur designed QSL cards, Its an intimate autobiography of that weird uncle or neighbor we all had that plopped a big ol' antenna or a half-dozen antennae on top of his rambler in bumfuck, nowhere, who spent all of his free time holed up in his basement making friends around the world, in 1975, preceding the internet, instant messenger, and myspace by 20 years.

Hello World, A Life in Ham Radio is a great read for anyone. And youworkforthem.com is a great resource for any art director or designer.

No comments: