Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Bruce Conner Music Videos from the 80's



I've seen Bruce Conner referred to as a Beatnik filmmaker. I first saw his work when I came across the video he did for the Brian Eno / David Byrne album, My Life in The Bush of Ghosts. The album and book by Amos Tutuola from which the title was lifted, are an amazing blend of belief and technology. Conner's video pulled from aged electronic instructional films really connects the two, delivering a very analog view and feel. One can almost feel the devout milling about as the electronic particles are manipulated by currents.

And he did stuff for Devo. Everybody wins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't sure who Bruce Jenner was when I saw the title of this post, but I got a mental image of the guy. Then I thought, no, that's Bruce JENNER. Then my mental image of Bruce Jenner was replaced with a mental image of Jimmy Connor. It was weird trying to reconcile that with a Byrne/Eno video.